56.K – Devotion

What do you think of when you see a cross? Today, we see crosses everywhere. We see them on buildings, jewelry, stickers, clothes—you name it! It’s great to be reminded of the cross, but it can get easy to ignore the cross because we’re so used to seeing it.

In Jesus’ day, the cross caused fear. The only time people saw crosses was when criminals were dying on them as punishment for a crime. A cross was a scary punishment because it was one of the most painful ways to die.  

But when we see a cross, we can think of Jesus. That’s a good thing! Jesus took away our fear of the cross because He paid for our sins. Jesus died and rose again, so we don’t even have to be afraid of death!

It makes us sad when we think about how Jesus suffered so much on the cross for us. It makes us sorry for all the sins we’ve done. But we can be happy when we think about Jesus’ love for us and the victory we have in Jesus!

The next time you see a cross, say a prayer to Jesus, thanking Him for dying on the cross for you. Tell Him that you’re sorry for all your sins. And rejoice that you are saved because Jesus lovingly chose to stay on the cross for your sake.

1. Try to count how many crosses you see today.
  2. Have you sinned lately? (Yes, we all have.) Think of your sins on the cross. Jesus died for your sins, for your family’s sins, and for the sins of everyone ever. How does that make you feel?
  3. Jesus put us first and sacrificed for us. How does Jesus’ love for you motivate you to love and sacrifice for others?

Let’s pray:

Dear Jesus, You are amazing! Thank You for dying on the cross and forgiving all my sins. I’m sorry for the times I ignore the cross and all You’ve done for me. Thank You for the life You give me in Your dying and rising again. In Your name I pray. Amen.